Southern Discoveries operate a variety of tourism products in Queenstown and Fiordland including Milford Sound Cruises, Milford Underwater Observatory, Kayaking, Coach Operations, Queenstown Lake Cruises and Information Centres in both Queenstown and Te Anau. Our vessels range between 17 and 34 metres, and have a passenger capacity between 50 and 400 passengers.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a qualified Skipper to join the Southern Discoveries Team in our Queenstown Operation. Reporting to the Queenstown Operations Manager, this role is responsible for ensuring we deliver an outstanding experience and safe journey for our customers.
Working at least 30 hours a week, you will be responsible for the following:
- Leading and motivating your crew to deliver outstanding guest experience within the highest possible Health & Safety standards
- Responsible for carrying out crew training, safety drills and regular safety reviews
- Providing excellent customer service to our visitors and giving them an enjoyable and memorable stay
- Delivering an outstanding customer experience which includes commentary and the ability to interact with visitors
- Managing passenger & crew safety on board at all times
- Performing day-to-day upkeep of the vessel, including oil and filter changes
- Assist with documentation reviews and updates as required
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- You must hold a New Zealand or Australian Skippers ticket - preferably either a ring fenced ILM ticket (Inshore Launch Master) or SRL ticket (Skipper Restricted Limits) with endorsements for vessels over 24 meters, vessels <500GT, large passenger numbers.
- Experience working on various types of vessels, including catamaran and single hull
- Excellent communication skills for commentary delivery
- Ability to successfully lead and support a team
- Ability to work both under direction and without supervision
- Passion for the natural environment
Remuneration will be based on the experience and ticket the candidate holds.
If the role sounds of interest we look forward to hearing from you!